Senior Systems Engineer
Huddle's Tech Ops team manages our SaaS production systems globally, ensuring that the service is highly available, performant, and totally secure. It provides business-critical infrastructure for our dev teams to support the build/release/deploy pipeline, and all production releases.
As a Senior Systems Engineer joining the team, you will design and implement improvements to our production platform for improved reliability, greater capacity, and higher performance, using a mix of Windows and Linux skills in a variety of hosting environments from dedicated servers through to Cloud-hosted IaaS. You will work closely with Architecture, Development and QA to enable the smooth delivery of releases, and assist Developers in managing and monitoring their own components. You will support our Agile development cycle by providing internal dev/test rigs, build and deploy services on TeamCity and Octopus, and the supporting services such as GitHub, JIRA and Confluence.
Here’s how you will contribute:
- Lead hands-on engineering projects while providing technical and tactical guidance to other team members
- Enhance our infrastructure with automation to improve security, performance, and scalability of production systems
- Work with the development teams to help them write software with security and operability built-in from the start, and to troubleshoot issues with their code in production
- Support and maintain the production systems: new releases, diagnostics, monitoring and fire-fighting (including on- call cover for urgent issues)
- Keep the development pipeline running smoothly with provisioning of dev/test rigs and reliable TeamCity, Octopus and Chef services, supporting the development lifecycle with JIRA, Confluence and GitHub.
- Use your analytical skills to diagnose complex end-user issues, impressing the customer with responsive and smart customer service
Skills and experience that will help:
- Website operations at scale, preferably public-facing, with a focus on security and high availability, in both dedicated hosting environments and IaaS (e.g. AWS, Azure)
- Use of automation to build distributed systems using AWS components (EC2 instances, CloudFormation, Packer, VPCs, ELBs, Route53, Elasticache etc)
- Sysadmin skills in Windows, Linux (CentOS, Ubuntu) and hypervisor (VMWare, Hyper-V), including automation technologies such as Ansible, PowerShell DSC and Chef
- Networking and internet technologies (TCP/IP, VPNs, HTTP, AJAX, REST)
- At least one modern scripting language (e.g. PowerShell, Python)
- Products like RabbitMQ, Redis, Event Store, ElasticSearch, LogStash, Kibana, and security technologies such as IDS, scanners, SIEM.
- SQL Server administration and T-SQL, SQL AlwaysOn, clustering and replication, and an appreciation of relational database techniques.
- Experience with firewalls, load balancers, proxies, CDNs.
- Working knowledge of agile development practices and how they are applied in a Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC)
Huddlers get a buzz from problem solving, eating doughnuts and building great software. We have a jukebox playing in the background, gather around colourful stand up boards and live by the “individuals and interactions over processes and tools” mantra of the agile manifesto.
Speaking of Agile, we do Agile software development the right way. We’re recognised experts on the topic, speak at conferences and regularly invite big companies to come and learn how we do things.
Our annual Hackathon, 20% time and labs experiments are a few ways we tinker, fail fast and learn.
There’s movie club, cheese club, burger club, regular release drinks, team lunches, breakfast on Mondays, lunch on Wednesdays and beer o’clock on Fridays. There are foodies, sports enthusiasts, video and board gamers, boulderers and pub goers. Our team is from all over the world and we would love for you to join us too!